I have posted information on High Pressure Processing (HPP) before covering the process, linking to a factsheet and describing a product. HPP is a relatively new process that has advantages in the consumer preference for freshness and health that have been developing recently.
click image to visit site
This article gives a few of the major points found in a recent market investigation.
- The USA is the leading market for HPP products
- The East, although an attractive market, has certain constraints based on consumer habits
- Equipment sales are projected to reach $600 million by 2018
- Product sales are expected to reach 2,2 billion in the same year
- Beverages, ready to eat meals, raw proteins and raw pet food have been the successful products to date.
Is this the next big thing in African Food Processing? – I doubt it is likely to become a widely used technology. We still need to catch up with more standard capital intensive technologies as our middle class develops and demands more quality.
However, where we are developing new markets for the indigenous plants of Africa, there is surely an opportunity for HPP to retain flavours and beneficial chemicals tahtt will appeal to wealthy consumers.